Which Operating Systems do Bytemark support?
At heart, we are a Linux-based hosting company and our expertise for platforms we build ourselves is based around Debian. However, we understand that your expertise might not be with Linux, or with Debian particularly, and we’re glad to support other versions of Linux and Windows servers.
- Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 (wheezy), 8.0 (jessie)
- Ubuntu 12.04 (precise), 14.04 (trusty) and 16.04 (xenial) Long Term Support editions
- CentOS 6 and 7
- Symbiosis: our own ‘easy hosting’ solution, based on Debian
- Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Web Edition
How long will Bytemark support an operating system?
We support the above Linux distributions on all our hosting products with continuous testing. Our principle is that we will support these distributions as long as the upstream source still offers security updates for the version concerned.
Once that time is passed, we’ll generally stop doing any further testing, which may limit support to older hardware.
Once upstream sources disappear, we’ll likely remove sources ourselves, which will remove the possibility of re-installation for our customers.